Saturday, April 23, 2011

BAD Habits and other WONDERFUL Adventures!

Well, it’s been an interesting couple of weeks. All of my children have brought their own individual adventures to us. I’ve been thinking about my past a lot lately and if someone would have came up to me 10 years ago and told me these are the issues my kids would be dealing with at this season of life I probably would have laughed in their face. I will expound by starting with my oldest son Isaac.
Oh my dear son Isaac. *sigh* Isaac for some reason has been chewing on all his clothes. Yes, CHEWING! He has been wrecking the collars and some sleeves of some of his shirts. He totally ruined the zipper of his nice winter coat as well of countless other t-shirts. We have been nagging him constantly to quit doing it. So one day I came up with the idea to put something that would taste gross on his shirt to help cure this addiction he faces. We decided we’d try vinegar. Well, my husband was getting Isaac ready for school in the morning and decided to DOUSE his shirt in vinegar. I was not there to witness this on this particular morning. Isaac didn’t realize vinegar was so stinky and said, “Oh what’s that smell…Oh Daddy, I smell something.” Chris’ response was, “It’s your upper lip.” LOL! Then he explained to him that he put vinegar on his shirt to help him quit chewing on it. Isaac did wonderfully that day and didn’t chew on his clothes. Imagine that. Well, the next day I was actually there when I saw him apply the vinegar. I thought he just dabbed his finger in the vinegar and kind of rubbed it on his collar. Nope. Not my husband. Chris said he didn’t want to “touch” the stuff. (Hold on I’m rolling my eyes) He POURED IT ON!  So poor Isaac had this shirt that was drenched, several inches past his collar, with stinky smelly vinegar. I didn’t like that he put so much on and so we got a different shirt that morning and I used a dropper to apply the vinegar to just the collar.
After Isaac left for school I emailed his teacher to apologize for the raunchy smell that was lingering with my son and probably smelling up her whole classroom and explained the situation. It wasn’t until about 2:00 that afternoon that I got a response and this is what it said,
“That is SO funny!  I have been sniffing around the room (next to him) wondering what is smelling like vinegar in our classroom!!!!   Oh I am going to be laughing over this for a LONG time!”
We laughed for quite awhile about that one. We decided after 2 days of vinegar that that probably wasn’t the best solution and ended it. Isaac hasn’t chewed on his shirt but maybe one time since. HOPEFULLY, he’ll continue to remember. But again, 10 years ago this would be the last thing on my mind I thought I would have to deal with as a parent. Oh but that’s not all. We have another child with bad habits.
Grace. Yes, our sweet little princess. She LOVES to constantly bite her nails (and pick her nose but we’ll deal with that later). Her nails are so chewed off that she can sometimes cause bleeding!! So we found this stuff you can put on your nails that tastes really nasty. And I mean REALLY NASTY. I applied this very liberally to Grace’s fingernails the other night. I told her I do it with her and put it on my nails too. That was a wrong decision. I barely got a taste of that stuff from eating something and licked my finger and I about puked. It was HORRIBLE. Well, apparently the next morning Grace was picking the stuff off or something. Luke was by her and she claims he put one of her picked off fingernails in his mouth. EWWWWW!!!! All I remember is being out of it on the couch from being up all night with Jonathan and couldn’t hardly function. I opened my eyes to see Luke coming towards me PUKING!! AHHH!!! Really? Again, not something I thought I’d be dealing with before I was married and had kids.
And then there’s Luke. Well, Luke gets his own blogging entries quite often so I really don’t need to say much. The things that I used to write about him getting into seem to be a daily occurrence now. It’s nothing new and special for him to dump an entire box of cereal out, or get into just about anything he wants now. It almost seems futile now for me to even stop him. To say he keeps me busy would be quite the understatement I think.
And lastly, is Jonathan. Yes, even my dear little one who will be 5 weeks old tomorrow has caused some interesting adventures. Adventures full of him screaming and sleepless nights. I won’t bore you with a ton of detail but I thought he had severe tummy aches. Ones to the point of screaming so badly that you would have thought I was cutting off his finger. But then I realized it had to be something more because he wasn’t able to eat for more than 10 seconds without pulling away screaming (nursing or bottle). The light finally went on in my head that he probably had acid reflux. Sure enough, within a day of being on Zantac he was a completely different kid! Finally he was sleeping through the night again like a baby his age should be. My mom came and spent the night a couple of nights throughout this because I just couldn’t go another night of having NO SLEEP! I have to say one thing I’ve learned in all this is that SLEEP MAKES A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE! I’m amazed at how much sleep can make my whole outlook on life so different. Without sleep, I didn’t know how I was going to face the day and tears lingered. (You could have told me your cat died and I probably would have started bawling) With it, I thought I could conquer anything. I’m so thankful for those nights when she came. It was truly amazing. I never realized how valuable sleep was to my perspective and am definitely going to make more of an effort in the future to make sure I get my rest when I actually have that luxury.
So, these are the adventures I’ve had this past week with my children. I’m so glad things seem to be going uphill now. Especially with Jonathan…things seemed to be getting worse there for awhile with him and his screaming bouts. As I mentioned, 10 years ago I woulnd't have pictured adventures like this. But, I am thankful for adventures because without them I wouldn't have something to laugh at later on. :-) So what’s the moral of my adventures? I don’t know…maybe if you’re  going to have kids someday just be ready for ANYTHING because you never know what life will bring you…but when it does…be ready to LAUGH! J

No comments:

Post a Comment