Monday, August 22, 2011

Luke's Emergency Room Visit

So Saturday we were cleaning out our porch and of course Luke had to be part of the action. We showed him how sidewalk chalk worked and he squealed with delight playing with it for his first time. He would draw something and then say, "Daddy...yook...BIG ONE!" But besides playing with the sidewalk chalk he also had a few bumps on his head that morning as well as a couple mosquito bites. We didn't think much of it until lunch time when we noticed it looked a little larger than normal on his forehead. By supper time it was much more noticeable and Chris started calling him, "Worf" (from Star Trek I guess).

Luke at supper time with a mouth full of milk!
Again, as the evening progressed we tried to figure out what was going on with Luke. I remembered one time when I was 16 I was in a car accident with my siblings and my sister had a big bonk on her forehead like that. It was a giant bruise that slowly moved down her face. We teased her and told her she looked like the Beast from "Beauty and the Beast." Now here my very own son was starting to look like the Beast and we didn't know why. Chris even tried to get Luke to make the "Worf" noise (whatever that is) and tried to get him to walk like him too. (Man what we do for a laugh) We decided to see if it would be better in the morning. That night he woke up crying and itching his forehead. We comforted him and he fell right back asleep. But one look at his face showed me it wasn't getting better. My mind started racing trying to figure out what this was. Could it be West Nile Virus? Could he have gotten bit by a spider while we were cleaning out the porch? I had no idea but my husband reassured me that we just needed to trust the Lord. So much easier to say that do sometimes :-)

The next morning he was up at 7:00. I took one look at his face and we decided he needed to get checked out because this was not getting any better. (You don't exactly want to go to the ER unless something is really bad. But I was freaking out looking at him and seeing how he could barely even open one eye.)

Luke's sad face while he is getting shoes on to go to the E.R.
We grabbed a granola bar for him to eat on the way and Daddy and Luke headed to the E.R. Chris said that ER doctor didn't know what was wrong with him but that he was glad they didn't make him feel stupid for bringing him in. They gave him some Benadryl and an antibiotic just to be safe in case it was some type of infection.

So, all that to say, we still aren't quite sure what happened. But we are leaning toward the mother of all mosquito's taking a chunk out of his forehead. It is now 2 days later and he looks much better. I think the Benadryl has really been helping. We are so glad to see improvement and know our little boy isn't miserable. Oh the joys of having kids! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment