Monday, August 22, 2011

Yes...I am homeschooling!!!

Ok so, it's official. I am homeschooling! I know, I know...you all think I'm crazy. But didn't we already establish that by all my other posts? :-) As many of you know the desire of my heart was to send my kids to our local private Christian School. As we were praying about it my husband had said that he really felt that it was the Lord's will for us to homeschool. He then went on to mention several reasons behind it as well. Even if the funds were provided for us for our children to attend this particular school, he still felt that it was the Lord's will for us to homeschool our children. I personally did not see the light on this matter at the same time as him. However, I was very glad he communicated that to me the way he did. It's good to know you are in the Lord's will than to be wishy-washy and wonder if you're doing the right thing. I would rather spend 1 day in the will of the Lord than 1000 out of it. I told him that if it's the Lord's will then He will give me the grace and tools I need to do it. (Oh and by the way, the funds were offered to us to send our kids)

I was determined that we wouldn't just do it at the kitchen table. I know so many people do that but I personally want my kids to have some fun with school.  So I created the other half of Jonathan's room into our homeschool room (since there really was no other place to do it). To me...this was more fun. I have 3 little kid desks for the kids to sit in and a teacher desk as well. We have a white board, and some decorations hung up as well to make it look somewhat like a classroom. Someday, if we are still here and still desiring to homeschool, we may fix up our basement and make a room down there. We are just taking it one year at a time. (After today I guess I should say that we're taking it one DAY at a time)

So, today we had our first "official" day. Boy oh boy! We are in for a trip to say the least! I'm sure the more we get used to it the easier it will become. However, it seemed very overwhelming to me today as Jonathan (5 months 2 days ago) was crying and Luke (2 years) was desiring our full attention as well. The actual schooling part went ok. I'm sure as we go I will figure out solutions for some of the problems I'm running into. I'm not giving up YET! I told my husband I would "try" it. No guarantees.

I think the key thing to homeschooling is having the vision before you as to WHY you are choosing to do it. If the vision is not laid out before you as to why you are choosing to do what you do, then I believe that is where many people give up. For me...the vision isn't the problem right now. It's the other kiddos-that would be the main reason I would give up. I am not sure how I'm going to keep up on the rest of life since I was already feeling pretty maxed out but I know it will all work out if it's supposed to be. I'm a hard worker and know it's doable. I'm definitely going to be making some extra sacrifices that I wasn't sure I was quite ready for. I won't go into details as to more reason's why we are choosing to do this on this post.  If you are interested in learning more about our reasoning please let me know and I'd be happy to chat with you! :-) So for now...the 4 loads of laundry, the piled up dishes, and kids are all calling (or should I say SCREAMING) my name. Toodles :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment