Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Poison Control and the Photography of a 21 month old

OK, so just to warn you...after reading this post you're going to think I'm a terrible mother. If you already think that then I suggest you stop reading right now. Shew...glad we got that out of the way.

I'm assuming if you're still reading then you're wondering what my latest adventures have been. Well, let's just say this post is dedicated to my beautiful, wonderfully QUICK, little 21 month old boy, Luke. Every morning I take a shower and it so happens to be when the kids are awake. *GASP* I know...I'm a terrible mother. Usually it's only 2 mornings a week that Luke is unattended for less than 5 minutes. (And when I say unattended I mean there's no older sibling present) And now I know you're all gasping and thinking....does she ever shave her legs??? We won't go there. I USUALLY gate things off and make sure Luke is playing real well while I "sneak" in the shower. AND, if one of the other older kids is home they can usually "watch" him for me. (Which basically consists of them running in the bathroom and screaming at the top of their lungs what Luke was getting in to.) Well, this was one of those mornings that Grace was supposed to "watch" him for Mommy while I raced to get my shower in. I really thought things were going well...I mean come on...there was no screaming right? So, I'm drying my hair and all the sudden Luke comes in with my CAMERA! I was so glad he didn't throw it on the floor or in the toilet and immediately felt frustrated that Grace wasn't watching Luke. (I totally know it's not her fault in the least...just what I was thinking at the time). Well, I didn't think anything of this incident until the next day when I was looking at the pictures on my camera and trying to figure out what in the world the pictures were. These are a FEW of the pictures that I saw:
The floor
The ceiling
His feet with the camera strap
The culprit himself.
I recognize this chunk on the wall from our steps. His conscience must have kicked in as he realized he needed to bring the camera to Mommy.

So you would think after this incident that I would learn my lesson right? Well..... yeah.
Here's part 2 of the blog dedicated to this quick little squirt.
Today, almost the same story as far as sneaking in the shower. It's about 8:00-8:30 in the morning and EVERYONE is home. Chris is in his office/closet, Isaac and Grace are watching cartoons. So in my mind this is a perfect opportunity to take a shower. CHRIS is here...the Dad...the Head Honcho. But, none of it mattered. I had just gotten dressed and Luke walks in the bathroom with a completely empty children's medicine bottle (Motrin I think). It's all over him and I discovered it was all over the floor in the kitchen. The little stinker has figured out how to pull the drawers open in the kitchen to make a step stool to climb up on the counter. I guess I hadn't closed the lid very well either the last time I used it. *sigh* Luckily there was only about 5 teaspoons left in the bubble-gum flavored medicine. I grabbed my cell phone to look up the Poison Control number to find out the damage that had been done.  The verdict was that it wasn't any big deal. The very nice man on the other end said it happens all the time and it probably won't affect him at all. He may have a tummy ache but that might be it...oh and to feed him breakfast if I haven't already done so. The amount he could have gotten wasn't significant enough to do much damage. Shew.
As I was calling Poison Control the thought came to me, "I wonder if any one else has this number saved in their phone?" (Granted I've only had to call it a few times in the 6+ years of being a parent.) Nonetheless, I always feel like such a horrible parent calling it and am afraid they are going to turn me into the people that take your kids away. LOL!
Well, that sums it up. I'll try to be better in the future...but I can't guarantee.  My little squirt is quicker than quick and gets messier than messy...but we'll save that post for another day.
Oh and one more thing...sorry if there's lots of typos etc...my son is bawling so I'm not going to proof read this. Happy reading. :-)

1 comment:

  1. My older brother, at the age of 3, disappeared and NO ONE noticed, until the Sheriff drove up in the yard with the soggy cloth-diapered toe head, and said he was found on the country road about a mile and a half away. When asked what he was doing by the Sheriff, he said he was going to Grandpa's. That was 54 years ago. I think every mother has many stories they think are going to cause them to bring fright to other mothers, I just can't think of any of my own. I had perfect kids! LOL!

    ReplyDelete